Sunday, September 25, 2011

weddings vows and the like

Josh and I attended a last minute wedding for a friend last night. Last minute in that they could only invite a specific number of people, once a couple family members couldn't attend we got bumped up! I'm glad that we were able to go. Sarah and Andy's venue was gorgeous! A place called "Tre Bella" in Mesa, very modern, classic gothic.

They too wrote their own vows and it made me tear up a little. Reminded me that I was able to customize our ceremony and that nobody from our families were there to hear the words we said. Yes, it was intimate and romantic that way, but still I'd like for others to know what was in our ceremony.

....................................................................................................................................................................

We are here to celebrate love. Love organizes our large and sometimes unpredictable world. It is that which enshrines and ennobles our human experience. It is the basis for the peace of family, and the peace of the peoples of the earth. The greatest gift bestowed upon humans is the gift of love freely given between two persons.

The poet Rumi said, “Two lovers do not meet somewhere in time, they are in each other all along.”

In marriage, two people turn to each other in search of a greater fulfillment than either can achieve alone. Marriage is risking who we are for the sake of who we can be. Only in giving of ourselves fully in this commitment to one another, can the process of growth take place. Two among us, who have stood apart, come together now, to declare their love and to be united in marriage. 

Meg and Josh are here to express their understanding of love and marriage as they stand on the threshold of this great adventure. 

They believe that marriage is a journey, chosen by two human beings, based on mutual love and respect that allows an individual to grow more powerfully and more beautifully then if each walked alone. It is the maturing of love, freely given and gladly returned and is both ordinary and extraordinary, because it is about everyday living.

SONNET LXIX
By Pablo Neruda
Maybe nothingness is to be without your presence,
without you moving, slicing the moon
like a blue flower, without you walking
later through the fog and the cobbles,
without the light you carry in your hand,
golden, which maybe others will not see,
which maybe no one knew was growing
like the red beginnings of a rose.
In short, without your presence: without your coming
suddenly, incitingly, to know my life,
gust of a rosebush, wheat of wind:
since then I am because you are,
since then you are, I am, we are,
and through love I will be, you will be, we'll be.

Exchange of Rings
The wedding ring by its shape is a symbol of eternity, without beginning or end, and signifies the unending nature of this commitment. 

The elements from which these jewels were formed are as ancient as the stars, as mysterious as the moonlight, and as bright as your new bond. Wear these rings as a sign of your love for one another and as a reminder of the commitment you made here today.

....................................................................................................................................................................

And now for my vows:

Josh,
There is a story about soul mates in The Symposium by Plato. It states that humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces,
but
Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, 
condemning them to spend their lives 
searching for the other half to complete them.

Soul mates used to be such a foreign concept to me. One of my most cherished quotes is “Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”

I never knew the true meaning of that quote until the day that I met you.  
Your eyes met mine for that first time and instantly I was home.
Nothing that happened to me before that day matters because we are all that counts, 
but yet everything matters because it shaped the path of our meeting.

Josh, you are my missing puzzle piece.  
You fixed the ache that I didn’t even know I had.
Our life is the stuff of corny fairy tales. Never have I been happier.
We honestly make this look easy, and that’s because it is.

I live for waking up and brushing that one curl off of your face while you’re still sleeping. For the look you give me when you’re pretending to be upset but you’re really just concerned. How our hands fit together perfectly like they were made for each other; 
and your contagious laughter and smile that just lights me up from the inside. 

We have so much in store. I want us to travel and discover the world. 
I can’t wait to bring our first child home and be completely clueless together. 

Thank you for being my other half, for absolutely everything that you are;
my biggest fan, my shoulder to cry on, my dartboard when I’m upset
and the first person I want to tell my greatest news.

Josh, there is no time limit on my love, it is infinite.
Please let me spend the rest of my life being that other half for you.

....................................................................................................................................................................

There ya go folks. Just a little slice of our day...now to wipe my tears since that made me weepy all over again...

Cheers, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment